How Do You Make a Custom Battery Pack?Leave a Comment
Batteries provide energy to fuel electrical devices. When connected in a parallel circuit, this power source discharges electrons from a negative terminal (anode) to a positive terminal (cathode). Hence, an electric current is generated to power systems like an electric vehicle (EV) or energy storage system (ESS).
Custom Battery Packs from EVS Supply
At EVS Supply, we deliver a variety of battery types that can be applied to diverse purposes. Our products range from standard to custom battery pack designs. Listed below are the types of batteries we offer:
- Lithium thionyl chloride: These are non-rechargeable batteries produced from a lithium and thionyl chloride mixture. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries offer a broad range of capacities and come in either spirally wound or bobbin-type constructions. Due to a low self-discharge rate, they have a high operating voltage, excellent service life, and reliability features.
- Sealed lead-acid: Also called a valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery, sealed lead-acids are fully-enclosed rechargeable batteries with a pressure relief valve that automatically activates to allow gasses to escape when the internal pressure surpasses the unit’s safety limits. These batteries have a long life span and high capacity range and are low-cost and maintenance-free.
- Alkaline: This non-toxic battery is produced through the chemical reaction between zinc metal and manganese oxide. Alkaline batteries are non-rechargeable, tolerant of extremely low temperatures, recyclable, and have minimal leakage risk.
- Lithium-ion: Like the lithium thionyl chloride type, lithium-ion batteries are rechargeable. They are lightweight, maintenance-free, and have a higher capacity than equivalent lead-acid batteries.
Battery Packs Components
Since a single cell often cannot achieve the minimum voltage requirement a battery pack needs to supply adequate power, multiple cells are merged in sequence to stimulate higher voltage. Additionally, battery packs are composed of numerous smaller branches called battery modules or sub-pack and contain several components.
Categorized into two types — energy and power — cells are deemed as the most crucial part of a battery pack. Fabricators can mix the materials comprising the cells to produce different battery chemistries with varying specifications and performances.
Busbars, wires, and other distribution conductors are utilized to create parallel connections between cells and groups of cells. These electrical connectors are commonly merged using ultrasonic bonding or laser welding.
Thermal Interface Materials (TIMs)
Pastes, adhesives, and gap fillers are thermal interface materials used to mechanically join battery components. TIMs are essential components of battery packs as it helps enhance thermal properties between surfaces.
Battery Management System (BMS)
The battery management system is devised to safeguard the cells and maintain cell balance by monitoring critical parameters like voltages, currents, and temperatures. This component sustains the cells’ optimal performance at the correct voltage and transmits messages to systems such as engine management and temperature control.
This rigid or semi-rigid enclosure provides protection against external environmental factors that may damage the battery pack. It also maintains accurate temperature conditions and electrical insulation.
This component allows communication between the battery pack and other electrical device components.
Design Considerations for Battery Packs
Whether availing standard or making their custom battery packs, it is vital for companies to partner with manufacturers that possess specific capabilities and expertise in producing such power sources. Businesses should also regard the following considerations when designing battery packs:
- Environmental requirements: Laboratories must be in state-of-the-art conditions to properly conduct climate, EMC, shock, and vibration tests.
- Certification management: Manufacturers must be certified by UL, CE, IEC, ITL, and UN 38.3.
- Quality management: Production management must be ISO 9001:2015 certified/compliant to ensure high-quality prototype production.
- Hardware development: Manufacturers must be able to provide an independent selection of the optimum cell chemistry, battery management system, and other components to suit refined applications and customer requirements.
- Software development: Specific configuration algorithms and host and user interface parameters must be readily available.
- Mechanical development: Battery pack housing and connectors must be customizable.
- Testing and programming: Manufacturers must be able to engineer all fixtures and programs required to comprehensively develop and test produced battery packs.
Common Types of Battery Packs
Battery packs are assembled using two or more individual cells or batteries and are characterized into two main types: primary and secondary. Primary batteries are non-rechargeable . Meanwhile, secondary batteries can be recharged because of the active materials they contain.
EVS Supply delivers top-selling battery brands to optimize our clients’ electronic devices’ performance, safety, and longevity. Specifically, our clients can use our products in the following industries:
- Consumer: general applications involving cameras, radio-controlled cars, toys, and laptops
- Industrial: deep cycle batteries for forklifts and other industrial applications
- Military: produced batteries adhere to MIL-SPEC requirements
Partner With EVS Supply for Custom Battery Packs
Custom battery packs are power solutions providers for applications that require portable and remote operations. Therefore, companies must associate themselves with suppliers with the manufacturing capabilities and engineering expertise to custom-build battery packs for unique applications.
EVS Supply understands the vital role of battery packs in any industrial operation and endeavor to deliver diverse battery solutions that our clients can use in a broad spectrum of purposes.
Partner with us today and make your own battery pack from EVS Supply! You may also call us at 1-800-776-5267 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.